Sinhala and Sri Lanka Online Forum Forum Index Sinhala and Sri Lanka Online Forum
The forum around Sinhala and Sri Lanka
Register at www.sinhala-online.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Characteristics of spoken Sinhala

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinhala and Sri Lanka Online Forum Forum Index -> Grammar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pahan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Characteristics of spoken Sinhala Reply with quote

The Sinhala spoken language has the following characteristics: Very Happy

* SOV (Subject Object Verb) word order.

* There are almost no subordinate clauses as in English, but only non-finite clauses that are formed by the means of participles and verbal adjectives. Example: "The man who writes books" translates to pot̪ liənə miniha, literally "books writing man".

* It is a left-branching language (see branching), which means that determining elements are usually put in front of what they determine (see example above).

* An exemption to this are statements of quantity which usually stand behind what they define. Example: "the four books" translates to pot hat̪ərə, literally "books four".

* There are no prepositions, only postpositions (see Adposition). Example: "under the book" translates to pot̪ə jaʈə, literally "book under".

* Sinhala is a Pro-drop language: The subject of a sentence can be omitted when it is redundant because of the context. Example: The sentence kohed̪ə gie, literally "where went", can mean "where did I/you/he/she/we... go". Also the copula "to be" is generally omitted: "I am rich" translates to mamə poːsat̪, literally "I rich".

* There is a four-way deictic system (which is rare): There are four demonstrative stems (see demonstrative pronouns) meː "here, close to the speaker", oː "there, close to the person addressed", arə "there, close to a third person, visible" and eː "there, close to a third person, not visible".

* The presence of so-called prenasalized stops. A very short homorganic nasal is added preceding a voiced stop, in which case the syllable remains monomoraic (see mora).
Very Happy
JFonseka

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, I can speak sinhalese, but if I had to learn my language in that way, I would never end up learning it, that is extremely confusing, best way to learn is to go to Sri Lanka and speak there Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinhala and Sri Lanka Online Forum Forum Index -> Grammar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: